Huixin Bi is a Research and Policy Officer in the Economic Research Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. Previously, Ms. Bi served as an economist at the Bank of Canada from 2010 to 2015. Her main areas of research are fiscal policy, sovereign debt and computational economics. She holds a B.S. in engineering from Nankai University in China, a M.S. in engineering at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, and a Ph.D. in economics from Indiana University.
Professional Journals and Books
"Sovereign Default and Monetary Policy Tradeoffs," with Eric Leeper and Campbell Leith, International Journal of Central Banking, June 2018: 289-324.
- "Debt-Dependent Effects of Fiscal Expansions," with Susan S.C. Yang and Wenyi Shen, European Economic Review, 88, September 2016: 142-157.
- "Estimating Fiscal Limits: The Case of Greece," with Nora Traum, Journal of Applied Econometrics, 29(7), November/December 2014: 1053-72.
- "Uncertain Fiscal Consolidations," with Eric Leeper and Campbell Leith, Economic Journal, 123(566), February 2013: F31-F63.
- "Estimating Sovereign Default Risk," with Nora Traum, American Economic Review Papers & Proceedings, 102(3), May 2012: 161-66.
- "Sovereign Default Risk Premia, Fiscal Limits, and Fiscal Policy," European Economic Review, 56(3), April 2012: 389-410.
Economic Review Articles
- "Implementation Delays in Pension Retrenchment Reforms"
with Kevin Hunt and Sarah Zubairy, Second Quarter 2019
"Fiscal Sustainability: A Cross-Country Analysis"
Fourth Quarter 2017
The Macro Bulletin
- "The Fiscal Stance of U.S. States"
with Jaeheung Bae
- "Examining the Recent Shift in State and Local Pension Plans to Alternative Investments"
with Trenton Herriford
Research Working Papers
- "Sovereign Risk and Fiscal Information: A Look at the U.S. State Default of the 1840s"
with Nora Traum, RWP 19-04
- "Sovereign Default and Monetary Policy Tradeoffs"
with Eric M. Leeper and Campbell Leith, RWP 18-02
- "Debt-Dependent Effects of Fiscal Expansions"
with Wenyi Shen and Shu-Chun S. Yang, RWP 16-04